Whole30

This week I decided to start my Whole30, a plan created by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig in which you commit to eating only the most nutrient dense foods for 30 days: protein, vegetables, fruit and healthy fats. The idea is to clear the body of all inflammation and test for intolerances at the end. If you are interested in learning more, go straight to the source on the Whole30 page. Everyone's reasons are different, I just felt like I needed a dramatic investment in my health. All those happy hours add up!

I started on a Sunday because I love taking a day to relax and cook and prepare for the week ahead. The key to success on this plan is preparation (and lots of dishes). Here's what I made on Day 1:



Sweet Potato Hash
For breakfast I made a batch of Nom Nom Paleo's Sweet Potato Hash with enough leftovers for the next day or two. These came out really well and were a fair match for the fluffy pancakes Joe was eating. I topped them with an egg and a small side of organic bacon. My understanding is bacon is accepted in Whole30 IF it does not have weird ingredients or sugar and IF it is not your main source of protein. I'm not planning on making it a Whole30 staple but I happened to get started when this was waiting to be cooked!


Super Boost Tomato Soup
This is a great way to add some power foods to any meal, as a side or as a base by adding some shrimp or protein of choice to the soup.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 28oz can diced tomato
1/2 of an onion (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 - 4 cloves garlic
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
1- 2 cups spinach
1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
1 cup fresh basil
dash of salt and black pepper

In a soup pot, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add in the onion and cook over low-medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and oregano and cook on low for another 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Now add in the tomatoes, salt, pepper, spinach and nutritional yeast.  Bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Finish by adding the basil. You can leave it as a chunky soup or blend it up with an immersion blender as I like to do. Test for salt and seasoning. I divide these in portions so I can grab and go on my way to work!

Photo Credit: theclothesmakethegirl.com
Bora Bora Fireballs
Well Fed was the book that made me realize I could get through a Whole30. Melissa Joulwan creates some magical combinations using all Whole30 approved ingredients. This recipe is one of my favorites! On the side I stir fried zucchini, asparagus, and carrots in a lemon, garlic, cumin marinade.

So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment