Apple Cider and Switchback

Wow. I did not realize I had abandoned my writing for a whole month! It’s been crazy and I hope I haven’t lost your attention. I started nutrition school which has been a wonderful addition to my life and I am overly-enthusiastic about my decision to go and all of the information I have learned in a little over a month. I plan on continuing to post recipes but with more nutritional info attached. I also got back from a 10-day vacation and to no surprise, the rest of the world had not stopped while I was gone.

My recent trip to Vermont put me in the official Fall mood. The air was a crisp and invigorating 40 degrees and the changing leaves were different shades of green, yellow, orange and red. We fully experienced the beauty and bounty of the Fall: tangerine butternut squash soup, The Red Onion (turkey-apple sandwich), VT cheddar cheese, and plenty of Magic Hat. The Fall mood has travelled back to San Francisco with me where the weather is not as obvious but instead rather odd. One too many rainstorms and muggy days later, my kitchen has seen nothing short of Vermont Fall inspired recipes. This one was delicious yet interesting, and if you decided to make it I would be curious to know what you thought. It’s adapted from Moosewood classics. I opted to use Flax meal instead of bread crumbs to add some Omega-3s.

Apple Onion Cheddar Gratin
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground cloves
4 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples, such as Mutsu
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups grated Cabot Cheddar
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup Flax Meal

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil an 11-inch x 7-inch baking dish. In a small pot, scald milk, bringing it almost but not quite to a boil. In another small pot, melt butter and whisk in the flour. Slowly add scalded milk, whisking continuously until sauce starts to thicken. Add the nutmeg, salt and cloves and stir for about a minute, until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

Spread apples and onions evenly in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle on grated cheese and pour sauce over top. Scatter on walnuts and flax meal

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until top is golden and crisp. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment