At the Intersection

Last week was my birthday week, and it is one of my favorites times of the year, up there with Christmas, the first night of summer and St. Patrick’s Day. I confess to you that every year since I’ve turned 21, is better than the last. I feel happy, fulfilled, and not one bit afraid of the “plus” in the birthday math. Some say that I feel this way because I am still in my mid-twenties and young. But just as objects in the mirror are closer than they appear, I believe the important memories will remain vivid as you drive away from the past. I feel my life is just beginning, and I am really excited to continue the drive.

There are big things happening all around me and until now I did not realize that getting older is not about ageing, it’s about changing. Some people say we don’t ever change but I question that. I agree that at our core we are always the same but as life around us changes, geographically, physically, emotionally, we change with it. Change is a word with many meanings so instead let's say we are evolving. We evolve into being better at taking care of ourselves, the people around us, and the world around us. We stop taking things for granted because we realize life isn't really that short and we want to live it to its fullest. It's time to do all those things you put off until you were ready to be a responsible adult: put on that sunscreen, eat your greens, exercise, open that 401K and recycle. It's your own personal evolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment